Mag. Heide Kunzelmann, MA, PhD
I was born and grew up in Austria and have lived, studied and worked in English-speaking countries for 20 years. Once I’d completed my undergraduate studies in Vienna, my post-grad journey led me to the USA and the UK, where I made my life as Higher Education professional and intercultural bridge-builder.
As lecturer in German language, literature and culture and as researcher I have helped many pupils, university students and academic colleagues access the world of German. As writer, editor, translator and workshop organiser, I enjoy giving businesses and the public the tools to take a different perspective on Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
In 2020 I founded THINKGERMAN.AT to provide tailored expert German language and culture mediation services to highly skilled migrants and businesses. What I offer goes far beyond the standard ‘language class’ – I use my expertise in cultural and language analysis and my historical, political and social knowledge about the German-speaking world to provide an all-round approach to intercultural and language solutions.
My Onboarding Support service for businesses in Austria focusses on improving the new or prospective international employee’s migration experience ‘beyond the Red-White-Red Card’: I provide Austrian cultural and linguistic advice to expats and their families about all those things that are not covered by legal services.
Working with me on your “German thinking” means to benefit first-hand from my extensive teaching and coaching skills as well as my lived intercultural experience and knowledge as a highly qualified migrant.
“Working with Heide on my German was always interesting and fun! Heide has really boosted my confidence in my language capabilities!”
- PhD in German (University of London, Queen Mary)
- PGCHE Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (University of Kent)
- MA in German (Bowling Green State Unviersity, Ohio)
- BA (Mag. Phil.) in German and English Studies (University of Vienna)
- 18+ years as University Teacher and Lecturer in German Studies (UK)
- School Senior Tutor at University of Kent (2019/20)
- 6 years as Director of the IBC London (Austrian cultural research facilitation)
- Translator, Writer and Commentator for German and English media since 2006
- Language mediation (translation, interviewing) work for different areas of industry (a.o. for medical research/Time Research Ltd.; German Association of the Automotive Industry VDA; Kent Innovation & Enterprise)